THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, June 20, 2008

White Coat Ceremony

I have decided to start at the beginning of my first year of medical school and work back to the present for my blog. I know I am going to want to remember this stuff later, so while I sit in my office waiting for something exciting to happen, I figured I would go back to the time this awesome journey began....

Each year before the first year class starts classes there is a white coat ceremony. This year it was held in Libby Gardner Hall in President's Circle at the University of Utah, but it is usually held at Kingsberry Hall. Anyway, this is where we recite the Hippocratic Oath and get our first white coats, and stethoscope.


Dr. Larry Reimer, the dean of curriculum spoke as well as Dr. David Renner a Neurologist we will have in our neurology block next year. Dr. Renner is a great speaker and he talked about how scared he was while delivering his first baby. I don't know if any of you know this, but I am ABSOLUTELY terrified of having to deliver a baby. I always tell everyone I just know it is going to be slippery and I am going to drop it, and then what? Opps, sorry I dropped your baby? I am sure that would go over well! Anyway, everyone I tell this too is like "oh no that would never happen, thats nothing to worry about." I was starting to feel like a freak, and then, Dr. Renner professed it was his biggest fear too! Now I know that probably won't happen, but mark my words when 3rd year rolls around I finally have to do it, I will report back and let you all know if there is even an ounce of a chance it could happen!

Now back to the ceremony....it was time for the white coats. You know, I thought people who make it to medical school are supposed to be smart! Apparently the deans office has a few too many instances where this was not the case. We had to practice walking across the stage before the real thing and Amanda, the queen of the deans office lectured, warned, and threatened us with our lives if we got to the Dean on the stage and our coats were buttoned so he looked like an idiot trying to get it on us, we would live to regret it! Anyway, here are some pictures of me getting my coat (I listened well and it all went smoothly!)

After the ceremony there were refreshments and then we went to the Spaghetti Factory at Trolley Square.

Thanks Mom, Dad, Sean, Grandma, and Tobi for your support!!!

1 comments:

Jen said...

I love the look of your blog. It's sooo cute!

This is going to be fun learning more about this year of medical school! I didn't know you were afraid of anything. Can't wait for that third year to see what happens!