THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, August 28, 2009

Peds so far...

I started my pediatric rotation with a week in the clinic...BORING! I saw like 6 kids a day pretty much all of which had viruses that I examined and sent on their way. I had one kid with pneumonia that I saw 4 times in 1 week and changed his antibiotics twice. As a thank you he coughed in my face. The next day I wasn't feeling so great and I worried for days he gave me his DRUG RESISTANT pneumonia! Luckily, I think I just picked up one of the viruses running through the clinic.


This week I am in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU). I really like it, but it is not as exciting as you would think. I spend most of the day ordering labs, changing doses of medications, and writing notes. The kids are great though and so much fun to talk to. One kid died on Wednesday which was NOT SO FUN, but I dealt with it better than I thought I would mostly because it was pretty much inevitable.

Next week I go to the Well Baby Nursery. I am pretty excited!

I honestly never thought I could be so tired. After 6 weeks of OB/GYN where I woke up at 3:50 am and went to bed around 10:30 or 11:00pm and now this week in the PICU, I sleep whenever I can find a minute. I got home Tuesday around 10:00 pm, sat on my couch, and fell asleep until midnight shoes and everything!!! I LOVE IT THOUGH!!!

I am not sure pediatrics is really for me though. I hate making kids cry and that happens way more than I would like. We will see!

0 comments: